The Chosen Ranch
The mission of The Chosen Ranch is a simple one. Follow the teachings of Jesus Christ as it is found in Matthew 19:13-15, “Let the little children come to me and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.” Children are born into this world as new, created beings completely helpless and at the mercy of the adults in their lives. Our Mission at The Chosen Ranch is to Love children, to Protect them, to treat them with Dignity and provide a Christian Home where they can thrive and grow.
We believe with all of our hearts, that when a child is provided with a proper home, with parents that are there when they get up in the morning and when they go to bed at night, are loved unconditionally, are clean, well fed and are shown the love of Christ on a daily basis, they will thrive and become productive members of our society.
The Chosen Ranch Promise
The Chosen Ranch will give the same promises to each child that comes into the program.
1. We will love you.
2. We will never lie to you.
3. We will give you clear boundaries, don’t cross them.
4. We will stick with you until the end.
5. You will always have a home.
The Chosen Ranch is committed to providing a Christ-centered home environment and quality education through partnership with local schools and churches. We are committed to working with local businesses and industry to provide a variety of job training opportunities.
You Have Been Chosen
One of the strongest desires human beings have is to be loved, accepted and to feel they belong. We want a sense of connection and belonging to something or someone. We want to feel valuable. We cannot be guaranteed of always getting that in our dealings with people, but we can get it with God.
Even though God knows everything about us, He still chooses us on purpose to be His very own. According to Ephesians 1:4-7, God chose us in Christ before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love He predestined us to be adopted as His sons through Jesus Christ in accordance with His pleasure and will – to the praise of His glorious grace which He has freely given us in the one He loves.
This being said, we are joining together here in Alcona County, Michigan to form a Christian, non-denominational organization that promotes an environment of trust where people of our community can come to develop friendships, skills and a sense of hope and purpose for themselves, their families and our community as a whole.
What’s Been Happening
- The 160-acre property was purchased in early winter 2015. It includes a 4-bedroom home, carriage building, horse barn, corral & pastures, historic barn built in 1870 and three ponds.
- As soon as weather allowed, work began to repair, upgrade and building code compliance in the home and property in preparation for the house parents and children to move in.
- More than 5,000 volunteer hours have been invested in the preparation of the house and property. More still needs to be accomplished to be ready for related inspections and licensing, but with the continued outpouring of support in time, skill, services and monetary donations, this will be accomplished soon. It’s all going according to God’s plan.
Our programs for the summer of 2017 have begun! We have so many kids involved that we have had to spread out our meeting places! God is good!
The summer of 2016 was a busy one for the volunteers involved in organizing and executing the Boys Summer Program, Boys Leadership Program and Girls Summer Program.
- The Boys Summer Program began on June 16 and finished August 25. For boys ages 13-18, this Bible-based program is designed to tackle real world issues and struggles that men face daily. It defines manhood and helps develop Biblical leadership traits. And, it teaches them wilderness survival tactics that come into use at the end of the program.
- Boys Summer Leadership Program also began June 16 with graduates of the 2014 Boys Summer Program. It builds on previous teachings and skills and focuses on building leadership skills within each individual.
- Girls Summer Program began June 16 and rans through August 18. Designed for girls ages 13-17, this is the first program for girls. It includes Bible lessons and discussions centered around issues girls face on a daily basis. It also emphasizes positive self-image and self-esteem.
- House parent selection was completed and house parents Joshua and Sara Whitten and their family moved into the Chosen Ranch on Labor Day weekend 2015.
- Youth Group for middle school and high school aged boys and girls began in the fall of 2015 at the request of youth who were involved with the summer programs. The youth group is going strong and growing in numbers!
“We believe, with all of our hearts, that when a child is provided with a home; with parents that are there when they get up in the morning and when they go to bed at night; when they are loved unconditionally; when they are clean and fed; when they are shown the love of Christ on a daily basis – they will thrive and become productive members of our society.”